Thursday, April 17, 2008

Embrace the feeling

Lesson for the day: having a hard time drumming up the motivation to get a job done? Imagine the feeling you'll have with the end result. This is why I set out my clothes and jewelry the night before--because I know how much better I'll feel in the morning, not worrying about it. It's why--despite being tired and feeling icky--I tackled cleaning up the living room and kitchen and even mopped tonight at midnight!! I have an old teacher friend coming to visit tomorrow and at first I did the whole, "Oh, she knows me, she won't care. I have a two-year-old, what do people expect??" BUT...then I thought about how much better I'll feel, inviting her into my home when it's neat and clean. I'll be able to focus on our visit and not be preoccupied with the dirty dishes.
This is why I choose to wear make-up, even when it seems like a waste of time. Like going to a women's ministry team meeting or to Bunco--it's just a bunch of women! So I think about how much more confident I feel when I know I look decent. Without make-up, I feel like everyone's looking at my pores and red spots, so I can't even focus on the conversation because I'm so self-conscious.
It's why Fly Lady is so genius. Her whole thing is to clean up before bed, have everything ready for the next morning and leave your sink clean and shiny. It's not always fun doing your routine at night after a long day. But, oooooh, the feeling of waking up the next morning to a clean home and a fresh, sparkling kitchen!! Totally worth it.
So that's my thought for the day. Andrew's stuff is ready to go to work tomorrow, my bag is packed, I've got my clothes laid out, breakfast is under control...all I have to do is make coffee and get dressed! It's a nice feeling.

No comments: