Monday, November 19, 2007

Monday's "Didja Know?"

"Didja Know" that Drew and I met on Thanksgiving weekend? His sister, Sarah, and I were both RAs at Southwestern College back in 2001 and as we got to know each other that fall, she thought, "Hm, she might be a good match for my brother." So! She invited me to spend Thanksgiving in Globe with her family. I really liked Sarah and the rest of their family that I had met so far, so I told several people at school, "Yeah, I'm going to meet my future husband this weekend." I told myself, "Even if he's not perfect, it'd be worth it to be a part of this family." So off we went to Globe, Arizona. Upon our first meeting, I thought, "OK, he's definitely not ugly." Never in my life had I even been on one date with a light-haired guy!! The tall, dark-haired guys were definitely my "type" and he's just a hair taller than me, fair-skinned and blond. But, he had a really great sense of humor, was obviously intelligent, his family was wonderful and we got along really well. So, we talked a lot and spent a lot of time together that weekend, but exchanged e-mails and parted ways, not expecting much. BUT, that Sunday, he called me and I thought, "Hm. Maybe it wasn't a weekend 'fling.'" Sure enough, once life got back into full swing, we were e-mailing, instant messaging a LOT, then would eventually just talk on the phone. Theology, family, relationships...you name it, we talked about it. There was a definite connection. My birthday was the week after Thanksgiving and I remember my parents showing up at the party and me telling Sarah, "There's Drew's future in-laws." We knew, even a week after. Then when I blew out the candles on my cake, I prayed, "Lord, please help Drew and I to grow closer." I figured dating would be nice...but thought marriage was a good possibility!! Heehee.
So, in December, I went to Albuquerque, and we were both wondering if the spark would still be there in person--and it was. We became a couple on December 13.
To make a long story short, three months after the day we met, we were engaged. We spent all but two months of our engagement in separate states and were married in August of 2002 and returned to Thanksgiving in Globe the next year as a married couple!! We've got back every year since, except for 2005, when I was five days over due with Andrew and didn't want to risk going into labor two hours from home. Globe is still near and dear to our hearts and a favorite place to visit--and we'll be back there once again on Thursday!!
One other "Didja Know?" that goes along with this one..."Didja Know" that Drew and didn't kiss until our wedding day?? It's true! That's part of why we "had to" talk so much!! :) I think if we hadn't made that decision, our relationship really would've been a fleeting holiday romance. But, alas, now it's been over five years and, wow, have we come a long way!!
So now you know!

2 comments:

The Smiths said...

AHHHH! I loved hearing about your love story - what an awesome thing to remember and be thankful for every year at Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing. I miss getting to see you, so for now, I send an e-hug your direction. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Brandie said...

I so love reading the "Didja Knows"...I was a bit destracted this morning by the baby pics of your son on the side - so precious!!

Wishing you all safe travels and all the blessings Thanksgiving brings...Know how thankful I am for you friend!
Love ya,
B