Monday, January 7, 2008

'08 goal #3: living a LESS balanced life

Yes, that's right--LESS balance.
UGH, I read a quote once...can't find it anywhere...about how you know you're living right when what you believe and how you live is in harmony. I believe a lot of things. Really, really believe them. But don't live like it. Not just religious, either. But...I've changed my mind on a LOT of things in the last...oh, ten years. Does my life reflect that? Aaahhh...sometimes. Not enough. So! Rather than have all the aspects of my life in balance, I want to pursue the things I really believe strongly about...and YES, let other things slide!! I don't tell people I'm "busy" anymore. Who's NOT busy??? And it's no excuse cuz we all find time for what we really want to do, be it sleep, eat, blog, whatever. It's about prioritizing!! So rather than try to achieve balance with all the areas of my life, which implies doing them all equally...I'm willing to let some areas "suffer" so that I can spend MORE time in the areas that I want to make a priority. Y'know??
I want to pin-point the things that really get me excited, that I feel like I have a sort of "inside scoop" on. Meaning, YES, I do think I've learned some unique things along my life journey here in Arizona. About parenting, about spirituality, about LIFE. And I think I have a responsibility to LIVE like those things matter--and share my stories with people who are interested. Talking to a mom who's dead-set on doing things a certain way--go for it, honey. I'm not gonna preach to you. Meeting a lady who's curious about a different discipline method than her parents used? We can talk. I learned a long time ago to listen more than talk--people want and need to be heard. They also want to know they're not alone and hear from someone who's lived what they're going through.
So in '08, expect me to start truly pursuing my passions. Expect a shift in priorities. Expect me to be OUT of balance. Doing some stuff a LOT--and other stuff, none.
Our pastor taught on this a couple weeks ago. Eureka!! The idea that the true heroes of the faith didn't live a balanced life! That's a totally 21st century mind-set. I know it's part semantics--I'm saying that when I think "live in balance," it means doing EVERYthing--and trying so hard to make it all fit and to not do anything MORE than the others. The quote our pastor read listed only a few of the bazillion things we're supposed to balance--and it's impossible. Impossible!! And not Biblical! God WANTS us to spend time on the tasks He sets before us. He doesn't care if my floor is clean enough to eat off of if what He really wants is for me to be making home visits to pray with and minister to the struggling new moms at church! How 'bout I make my meals at one of those meals-to-go places and use the ten-plus hours a week I'd save to teach fertility awareness to teenage girls who can't take the Pill--while teaching them God's design for sexuality and fertility??? How 'bout I cut back my time doing x, y and z and spend it JUST on learning the Bradley childbirth method so I can start teaching it to couples in the west valley who desire a natural birth? People might say, "Gosh, she's out of whack, spending all that time (fill in the blank." Here's the kicker, though: the stuff I'd be about would have to point to Jesus. That's my other goal in '08--the stuff I invest my time and energy into has to point to Jesus. It has to be out of my love for Him. It has to help grow my love for Him.
So my goal, then, would be growing in my love for Jesus. What do I need to be about for that to happen? What does He desire from me? What unique gifts or insights can I share with others? What can I do to share Jesus' love with other people?? That's what I'll spend my time doing. And reading the Word, of course, and meditating on it in order to discover His will. And if that puts me out of balance...so be it. There's a song on the radio these days that talks about "All the best of me is Jesus." It's so true. I want to give the best of me to Him--it's already His, anyway! You'll be hearing more about being OUT of balance...stay tuned.

No comments: