Friday, May 16, 2008

Loooooong week

Today marks a week since the worst of the worst started. Can I just say that if I have to deal with any more bodily fluids, I think I'll put my head through a wall? I've about had it. My "bug" started a week ago and I finally got rid of it around Tuesday, to just have one semi-normal day before Andrew woke up puking on Thursday. Today he didn't quite make it to the potty on time--#2, of course. We've had to change our bed sheets and his bed sheets (and the mattress pads, of course) twice in the last week, not to mention all the towels and wash cloths that needed sanitizing. I'm washing the last offended blanket now. Good grief. But, hey, at least I had just purchased a big bottle of nicely scented laundry detergent!
God's grace has been so evident in the midst of it. Our spirits have been high and thankfully, we can still see the humor in it all. The tiny shred of humor. And things could've been ten times worse. I have a "boss" that doesn't harass me about calling ten minutes before start time to say, "Ugh, yeah, he threw up again. No can do." I have a SIL that brings me soup and changes a diaper or two. I have a husband who offers hugs and to unload and reload the dishwasher, both of which are about equally soothing. I have friends that offer to pick something up at the store or that bring cookies by, or that just offer a kind word of encouragement. Supportive family members, both by blood and not. And there's "Wow! Wow! Wubzi" to keep Andrew entertained long enough for me to actually sit down for a minute. So much to be grateful for.
Last night, I got to go "off duty" (or 'off doody,' if we're honest) to take a long, hot bath, paint my toe nails bright red and read in bed. Drew took care of Andrew so I could just do my thing and go to bed when I wanted. It was lovely.
And now the weekend is ahead. Not much to do, yippee!! I want to get out. Maybe get some coffee and browse a few stores. I'm thinking the three of us need the Fourth of July tees from Old Navy. I still have a Bed, Bath & Beyond gift card I haven't used and I believe they carry my favorite foot scrub and lotion. And there's Target, of course. Now I can justify a non-maternity clothing purchase! Can you say, "Bermuda shorts?"
So...I'm glad to see this week end, but despite all the yuckiness and the emotional roller coaster, I remember so many nice things about it, too. A lovely Mother's Day, watching Andrew meticulously water the bushes in the back yard, chasing butterflies and rabbits, UFC night with Drew, cards coming in the mail, a little rain, several long naps in a comfy bed, phone calls from friends, lots of pillow talk, playing trains, reading my favorite magazine...very nice.
Life is good. And God is good. All the time.

No comments: