Friday, October 5, 2007

Montessori


Maria Montessori was a genius. Do you know much about Montessori education?? I didn't, until my mom started teaching the culture class at a Montessori preschool. I was in the throes of my elementary education classes at the time and at my Bible college, many of my classmates mistakenly thought the philosophy was too child-centered and unstructured. There is a small element of that, but not when it's done correctly. I did a presentation on it and opened a lot of eyes. Now the Montessori method is a true passion of mine and one I'm just starting to really learn about. Everything I read about Maria's philosophies just strike a chord with me and makes me nod my head in agreement, and gets my heart all excited, thinking about how much I can teach Andrew through her methods and philosophies.
I know a lot of you moms out there do a lot of Montessori-esque stuff with your kids, maybe without even knowing it, because it is sort of "natural"--but I know I still have a lot to learn! And, honestly, I probably should've spent my time and money "back in the day" on Montessori training instead of elementary ed...but it's a lot more complicated than that.
ANYWAY, my mom is now in her sixth year of teaching her Montessori culture class and I've learned a lot from her, from spending time at her school and from attending their parent education nights--like last night's on Practical Life. Andrew visited the school with me yesterday and, for the first time, actually interacted with the materials. We took a tray down for him--which they call "work"--and were amazed at how well he did and how long it held his attention. He even started saying "work!" The stuff is so simple and so truly practical that you could easily miss what it's teaching them.
For example, I learned that the "works" are arranged on the shelves in order of most simple to most complex/concrete, from left to right and top to bottom, to get their brain use to the "left to right," "top to bottom" method for reading and math. And for works with multiple steps or items, the teachers demonstrate them in that order, too. And silently, too, without the distraction of all that talking we're so tempted to do. Brilliant!
So even with something as simple as pouring macaroni from a pitcher into a bowl and back again teaches them hand-eye coordination, dexterity, concentration, using the tripod grasp, etc. AND the concept of everything having order and a system. WOW. And Andrew ate it up. We've long said that he's a working boy and loves to help so Montessori is right up his alley.
The school director emphasized setting up a Montessori environment in the home, too. She pointed out that what you teach them as preschoolers carries over into their teenage years and way beyond. She mentioned keeping their toys organized and sorted, and only putting out a small amount at a time and rotating them. Giving them a defined space for "work," such as a table or rug, so they can take down one bin or one toy, take it to their space, and work. Then put it back. Order and a system!!
Maria said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Don't do anything for a child that he can do for himself." It's hard, though!! Especially with the messes than can ensue! She showed us a plastic bucket with cleaning supplies in it for little hands. A dust pan and broom, a small feather duster, a rag and even a spray bottle with water and a touch of vinegar and a small squeegee for cleaning windows! A kid-sized dust buster would be cool, too. Andrew would love that! She also mentioned keeping their "stuff" where they can get to it themselves, like in the bathroom, keeping their toothbrush, toothpaste and timer in the low cabinet so they pull out their step stool and do the whole routine themselves. Or in the kitchen, keeping a place mat, tray and plate where they can reach it. Then they can set their food and drink on it, carry it to the table, eat, load it back up and take it to the sink.
Kids can also have their own tub for washing their own dishes, have a broom for sweeping the kitchen floor, have a drying rack and clothes pins to dry their clothes, etc. She talked about letting them dress themselves, too, even if they don't match! As moms, I think it's hard to give up that control--but it's so essential to helping them feel useful, capable and trusted. What an amazing difference it can make to constantly send them the message of "I know you can do it!" As you can imagine, my brain is running amok with ideas, especially with Andrew's birthday coming up soon. I'm wondering, "How do I ask people to forgo the usual toys and buy him cleaning supplies instead??" Heehee.
Anyway, I'm going to be spending a lot of time at www.montessoriservices.com
Check it out!
The picture is Andrew in April 2006 on his first visit to Nana's school.
And please share any Montessori-esque ideas that work in your house!! I'll keep you posted with what we're doing to make our home more Montessori-esque, too!

No comments: