Friday, October 12, 2007

Potty Training??

Oh, brother. Andrew is showing signs of being ready to potty train. Doesn't want to wear soiled diapers, is taking his diaper off when he needs to pee, even saying potty. Sounds like "pie." On Monday, he took his diaper off and peed on the kitchen floor! My fault cuz I took too long to attend to him. But I thought, "Hm. I wonder if he knew he needed to pee." So the next time he started to pull it off, we rushed into the bathroom and sat him on the toilet and sure enough, he tinkled twice in the potty! Even passed gas, which he thought was hilarious.
Then Wednesday, he was starting the crouching/grunting of a B.M. so I asked, "Do you need to go potty?? Poopy-doopy in the potty??" and he made a beeline for the bathroom and started undressing. I sat him up there, let him hold my hands for supprt and--yep! He did it! Was so proud amd excited, he was clapping!
We tried twice yesterday--he'd start to pull his diaper off and we'd sit on the potty but he'd get frustrated and say "all done" then peed on the floor next to the potty. But with a potty seat, he could sit longer. I can see him working his muscles, too, so he "gets it." And he says "pie" and "pee" and "yucky."
Ugh. I'm not ready so I'm tempted to just sort of "ignore him." Or at least not press the issue. But he IS Mr. Independent and Mr. Do-It-Myself and loves to do what big people do. So...we'll see. We're off to Target to look for potty supplies--potty chair or seat to go on the big potty and a step stool.
Any advice from you seasoned potty trainers?? Feel free to e-mail me, too!!

2 comments:

Brandie said...

YEAH for HIM!!!
Wow, he is doing GREAT! I'll try not to write a novel:
One thing I DO know - it's not about you, its ALL about HIM! When he is ready - it will work.
It sounds like he IS.
I've got a little potty, a potty topper and a step stool. My daughter goes back and forth between the little potty and the big potty - she's little Ms. Independent too. I try not to pressure her - and always reasure her when accidents happen (because they do). I've used (and still do) reward stickers, prizes etc when we have setbacks and find that they are really helpful in making it fun and exciting too. Best thing about potty training - saving $$ on diapers. There are some rough spots too, but it does get better every day. Before you know it, the stress of RUNNING to a potty has faded.
:0)
A new phase is on the way!!!!

Tabitha said...

New phases ARE exciting, aren't they??? I was focusing more on the "ugh" factor of a new phase but I like your take on it better! :) Growing up is fun and they do it whether we like it or not!! I was thinking about starting a reward system with him...maybe this is a good time to at least get him started. We'll see!! Thanks for your input!!