Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Coffee Talk

Yes, it's already 11:30...yes, it's a Sunday and not a Saturday...yes, my cup of coffee is long gone...why??? In two words: stomach bug. Andrew's got one. Yuckers. BUT, he is so verbal now, he's been saying "hurt" and holding his belly just before he...loses it. Amazing, his talking. He started saying his back hurt on Friday but didn't actually barf until Friday night. Then all day yesterday, he was a little dopey and out of sorts, still saying "hurt," but we thought it was just for the attention, maybe...but sure enough, he did the "pukey time" around 11:00 last night, then again a few times since. He asked for water in the middle of the night, too. As of this morning, he's had mama's milk and some diluted juice and is sleeping a lot, but hasn't puked since 7:00am. So...we'll see. Poor fellow. At least he can kind of tell us what's wrong now.
He was whiny and cranky yesterday and, yes, a little annoying...and, yes, I got a little irritated. After all, I was busy!! But I told Drew last night (after Andrew eventually threw up), I often remind myself that when a child is being their most unlovable, that's when they need our love the most. He was probably miserable off and on all day, and how else is he going to tell me except to say "hurt" and want to nurse and be held and have my attention?? That's what adults do when we're sick! It was the toddler equivalent of rolling around on the couch all day, groaning "I don't feel so good. Bring me some juice. Rub my back. Uuuuuugh..."
So I'm glad I did listen to him and hold him a lot and respect his feelings. I would've felt terrible if I'd have been short with him or had ignored him. He was sick!! So that was just a reminder to me--listen to your child. Don't dismiss him or his feelings. Treat him like a close friend, not a nuisance. Y'know??
ANYwho, I was going to participate in a neighborhood craft show yesterday but there was already a jewelry rep there from my company so I backed out. And I'm so glad I did! I ended up having a mini-show at my house and sold almost $200!! Plus I was able to get so much done around the house and actually do a little extra in preparation for the tea party--and NOT just stuff a bunch of stuff in a closet!! Heehee. Plus, I was able to tend to my sick little dude and keep him home with his mommy where he belongs when he isn't well.
So...here's me in my tea party outfit with my jewelry. Most of it was borrowed but with my upcoming shows, I'm hoping to build my inventory to about as much as you see here (there was more than this, but the gal I borrow from does the business full time). The thinking is "people buy what they see," so the more you can have out, the better! Plus it's more to choose from when you get dressed every day! :)

So...the tea party was wonderful, as usual. A couple "regulars" and a few first-timers, which is great. I love that mix! And the food was lovely--a nice variety. I know I enjoyed myself and I know a couple of the gals definitely needed a chance to just sit, relax and chat with "the girls." That's why I host them!! So another tea party, come and gone! The next one will be for Valentine's Day!
Here's a picture of the spread:
Today Drew and I didn't go to church today, of course, and are gonna be pretty low key. I'm gonna throw a roast in the crock pot for dinner, assuming Drew and I don't come down with this thing in the meantime. I'm praying that we don't.
I hope you had a nice weekend, but without a sick kid!!

1 comment:

The Smiths said...

Hey there,
So glad your tea went well (sorry about the stomach bug though...yuck! I was at a women't reatreat this weekend or I would have stopped by for sure! Count me in for Valentine's Day! :)