Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sunday: from a "burden and a chore" to a "blessing and a joy!"


Yes, I love Sundays. Well, I do NOW. In my growing-up years, it meant an entire day of church. Services from 8-12 or longer, lunch at the local BBQ joint, maybe a nap or a visit with friends, then back to church from 5-8. Then more socializing afterward! Phew!
But, for the past year-ish, our church has been without a pastor--or pastoral staff, for that matter--and it's been super-stressful for my DH and me. We both serve at our church and, man. It's been a very trying and draining season. It got to the point where church was more of a burden and a chore than a blessing and a joy!
But now we have a brand new pastor and things are SO much better, even just after his first week! I missed the last two weeks due to out-of-town "church-y opportunities" (thank you, Nacho Libre) and served in the nursery today BUT, just the feel of the place is different. And he even came around this morning to the nursery, greeted my son by name and told those of us serving "Thanks for your hard work." How nice!! Numbers are up, there's this spirit of hope and happiness, people are smiling and cheerful again--it's awesome! My hubby got to hear the sermon and said it gave him something to think about and apply to his life, which hasn't happened for him in a long time.
So, yes, church is much better now. We now look forward to going and enjoy our time there. The rest of the day felt more relaxed and restful than a Sunday has felt in quite a while. Thank you, Pastor! Thank you, Lord!
P.S. Oh, the picture. I took a few shots after church (since I looked decent and all) to update my profile. This was an "out-take" when my son had to get in on the action. He loves to ham it up for the "cheese." Aint' he cute?? :)
P.P.S. I apologize for the cleavage...the blouse made me hot.

No comments: