Sunday, September 30, 2007

TOO much to think about??

I figure we started "sort of trying" to get pregnant around Christmas of 2004, which means I've been operating in a "Mom state of mind" for almost three years now. Do you realize the bazillion decisions you have to make in the best interest of your child when you bring a child into the world?? It starts with what to eat during pregnancy, who to use for your pre-natal care, where to give birth, which childbirth method to use, what to register for, etc. I spent hours registering for the best cloth diapers, slings, organic clothes...and the list goes on.
Toward the end of pregnancy, you have to decide on issues like where the baby will sleep, nursing, circumcision, a night-time parenting philosophy...
Then the baby actually arrives. Within the first year, you're faced with a whole new world of questions, concerns and challenges! There's whether to let your child watch TV, sleeping issues, discipline, what the child can and can't eat, immunizations, in-laws and grandparents, germs, developmentally appropriate toys...ARRRGH!
I've laid awake many nights thinking through my own childhood experiences with corporal punishment, nightmares, public school, family vacations, church...and I've spent countless hours reading and researching issues like breastfeeding, spanking, infant sleep solutions, nutrition, SIDS...you name it.
I consider what the Bible says...what my parents did right and wrong...what I've seen in my many years of working with preschoolers...stories and advice I hear from other moms I respect, and those I don't...what I hear in the media and what I DON'T hear in the mainstream media and have to research myself. It's like a second job!
If you know me well, you know I don't really "do normal." My philosophy on most of the pregnancy/childbirth/baby-related issues is "If everyone else is doing it, I probably shouldn't." I definitely don't follow the status quo. Sometimes it's lonely, too.
Here's my point. Mothering is just one small aspect of life (albeit a HUGE aspect) and one that's a top priority at the moment. I feel like I stay on top of it pretty well and advocate for the things I believe in strongly. I wish I could do more, especially in educating women on the choices available to them and empowering them to stand up for themselves. But now I'm realizing that I've only seen the tip of the ice berg. I had a mom comment on a past post that directed me to her blogs and her web site and...WOW. There's more to this that even I realize. There's a lot of politics involved--human rights, women's rights, what role the government plays--and questions about how we (meaning those of us who advocate for the issues we believe strongly in) CAN spread the word and make a difference without turning moms off, overstepping boundaries or just being offensive.
I felt like I was on top of things, AT LEAST in the realm of new motherhood!! Even if I was clueless about pop culture, politics, current events, etc...at least I felt like I was OK with most of the "mom stuff."
No more. There's much to be done and I'm not doing enough. I feel like "With greater knowledge comes greater responsibility." I know stuff. I've experienced stuff! And I've done my homework. So I'm responsible for passing my knowledge on and for helping other women walk the journey. The other interesting thing is that I sometimes assume that women who are "into" the same things I am--whether it's extended nursing, home births, not immunizing, whatever--also believe the same things I do or have the same religious views that I have! It's ridiculous, of course, but I still find myself doing it.
This woman who posted listed "Sicko" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" as two of her favorite movies!! YIKES!! Probably not on the same page with a lot of stuff!! Not all hard-core nursing moms are liberals or feminists, folks!! But I know that's a perception that's prevalent out there.
So...now I'm more resolved than ever to find a couple of things I really believe in and are passionate about and find women who need to or want to be educated in those areas. Fertility awareness, home births, breastfeeding, grace-based discipline...I'm not sure which ones. BUT, I do know that I WILL present it from MY unique perspective as a CHRISTIAN, Bible-believing, Christ-loving woman, no apologies. And I will teach my classes in hip clothes and sparkly jewelry, not barefoot in a mu mu with hair to my waist. And I will have the guts to ask, "Do you have any idea what you're doing to your child?? Do you actually use your brain??" Well, OK, maybe in a nicer way, but still. In other words, I'd like to break through some of the stereotypes and maybe attract a "new breed" of women. There's a lot of people spouting off about their beliefs, most of them not nearly as important as raising kids.
My point is this. Only I can be me. And the world needs me. The issues I've mentioned here matter to me. And they need to be addressed. I need to get to work. I may not be able to stay on top of all the other issues out there...but that's OK. The issues I'm tackling are complicated enough!!! I don't need more to think about!! So stay tuned.

No comments: