Sunday, September 9, 2007

Saturday Coffee Talk



Well, we all slept in until 10:15 this morning (aaaahhhh), then my DH continued to sleep until almost noon, at which time I started preparing for the remainder of the day--including two birthday parties--which took all my time up until we actually had to leave. There were some frustrating moments of, "Could you please step AWAY from the computer for TEN SECONDS so I can get ready without YOUR SON clawing at my legs for me to pick him up???" and more frustration when, at the last moment, DH announced he was coming along. And, as I predicted, he took longer than I thought he needed to in finding his phone and wallet, changing his shirt, getting his shoes on, turning the a/c down and getting out to the car, as I'm watching the clock and thinking about our tight time schedule for the day. And, of course, we have to stop for gas, too. So I'm sitting there, hot and fuming, and all quiet and tense when he finally gets in.
BUT, once we're down the driveway and DH senses that yours truly is in a foul mood, he reminds me, "Hey, I'm coming, aren't I? I don't want to spend the whole afternoon with you if you're going to be grumpy. Let's just enjoy our time together." Oooo, thanks for that. Really. I was stressed out and hot and wishing that DH WOULD come along...but would want to, not be coerced into it...so, yeah, get a grip, lady. Two birthday parties, tons of fun, time as a family...I'll take it!!
So...not so much the relaxing morning in my favorite spot. A fairly chaotic day, actually. I did manage to have a yummy cup of coffee...must've been while Andrew was still playing happily and NOT clamoring for my attention. Probably before I started showing signs of getting ready to go somewhere.
Ultimately, we had a great time! The first party was at a friend's house who lives sort of in the country. It was all outside and DH got to launch some potatoes in a potato gun. Kewl. Andrew was pretty mellow and I mostly watched the festivities. Fine by me. Party number two was at Gymboree and Andrew had a blast. It was nice to visit with some church friends and watch the kiddos play. That's the pictures, by the way, us at Gymboree. They really DO have the best bubbles!!
so, yes, a good time, all around! And nice to spend time together as a family.
So here's my thoughts for today.
1. Isn't it amazing how we women have to do all this planning and preparation just for an afternoon out, whereas men can just decide they're going, put their shoes on and be out the door?? I started the day before, planning outfits (I treated myself to a new necklace), putting the present in a gift bag, getting directions and times sorted...then the day of, not only getting myself beautified and my son all ready to go, but dealing with breakfast, lunch, cleaning up, keeping my son happy...man!! It's like the wedding, right? We do all the work and they just "show up?" So it is, all throughout marriage! Men have it so easy!! OR...do we make it more complicated than it should be??
2. I was annoyed and irritated mostly because of MY expectations going awry, not because of anything my DH or DS did/didn't do. I'm the one who can't leave the house with a dirty dish in the sink and who has to always carry the perfect lip gloss in her purse at all times and who needs the tissue in the gift bag to be fluffed "just so." My hubby is just along for the ride. He's watching me zip around and doesn't have a clue what I'm upset about...and despite knowing I was stressed and volatile, he still wanted to spend time with me. Gulp.
3. It's awfully easy to miss the joy of ANY given moment when you're fussing with inconsequential details, eh? Yup. I am glad my DH brought me back to planet earth cuz being all huffy only made ME feel worse. It wasn't going to change anything or get us to the first party any sooner.
So...there ya go. My DH did comment on how quickly I shifted gears and got my attitude back in check. He was right, after all...no use stewing, just enjoy the moment!!
I hope you had some moments to enjoy today.

No comments: