Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Mothering Magazine/breastfeeding

You may as well know, my parenting style and philosophies aren't exactly "mainstream." I'm into fertility awareness, natural childbirth, home births, ecological breastfeeding, attachment parenting...the works. Andrew wasn't circumcised, is still nursing at 21 months old, shares our bed, will be home schooled...you get the picture.
So! If you're not of the same mind, feel free to avoid all posts labeled "parenting." If you're like-minded and haven't tapped into this resource, check out www.mothering.com. Use their search feature for all kinds of great information. They were one of the VERY few sources I found with ANY information regarding the safety of ultrasounds. That's why I love them--they tackle topics that other magazines won't touch. And they've been printing breasts with babies attached on the cover since the 1970s! :)
Speaking of which, the editor's newest column titled "Is Breastfeeding In Trouble?" is wonderful and brings up a lot of the little-known politics of the formula/breastfeeding issue. Here's the link:
http://www.mothering.com/guest_editors/quiet_place/quiet_place.html
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Amy Philo said...

Hi,
I love the songs on your playlist!
You should check out the activism click and send letters on my website, babywhys.org
I am also looking for people to help with writing or researching articles for the site.
We have two activism letters up right now, one to the AAP to ask them not to change their position on circumcision (people are pressuring them to recommend it) and also to ask them to update their breastfeeding position statement - both for duration and for language - to recommend at least 2 years like the AAFP and WHO, and to change the wording to make it in terms of the risks of not breastfeeding rather than the benefits of breastfeeding - also like the AAFP has!
Take care!

Amy Philo said...

By the way, your post reminds me of the funny article in Baby Talk that claimed they were the first magazine to have a breastfeeding picture on their cover. And I was like, ok what about New Beginnings and Mothering? LOL

Tabitha said...

Thanks for the comments!! I will definitely take time to check out your site--I'm all about education and activism! My son is 22 months and still going strong on Mom's milk--and has never been to the doctor for being sick even once!! I laughed at Baby Talk's claim of the nursing baby on the cover, too, and all the hoop-la that resulted...I get two of the mainstream parenting magazines, flip through them in about thirty minutes and throw them away--it's Mothering for me and nothing else!!